Tankless Water Heater Pros & Cons
If your current water heater is showing signs of failure, it's probably time to start thinking about a replacement. We’re often asked about tankless water heaters and their advantages over traditional water heaters. Although the two styles of heaters are quite different, it's important to consider the pros and cons when determining if a tankless water heater (also called an on demand water heater) is right for your needs.
Tankless Water Heater Pros
- Energy Savings - Average homeowners see a 30-50% drop in energy usage
- No Cold Showers - Hot water is continuously supplied regardless of heavy use
- More Available Space - Units are compact and most can be mounted on a wall
- Longer Life - Most units last more than 20 years
- Less Damage - If the unit breaks or malfunctions, your floor won’t be saturated with 40-50 gallons of hot water
- Peace of Mind - Warranties are typically longer than traditional water heaters
Tankless Water Heater Cons
- Higher Initial Cost - Generally more expensive to purchase and install, and can take some time to recoup the costs
- Difficult to Install/Replace - Converting to a tankless water heater calls for adjustments that require professional installation
- Venting Requirements - Burners used to heat the water need proper ventilation which can add to installation costs
- Required Modifications - Homes that use natural gas require a wider diameter pipe feeding the unit, and homes that use all electricity may need electrical upgrades to power the unit - these modifications can add to the initial installation
- Limitations - Small units can only serve one faucet at a time preventing simultaneous use (e.g. running the dishwasher and showering)
Although on demand water heaters can be a costly investment up front, their savings and benefits in the long run are well worth the price. Consider these advantages and disadvantages when it's time to replace your current system.
Have questions? Give us a call to schedule a consultation. Our experienced technicians will evaluate your setup, assess your heating needs, and provide you with professional feedback on your next water heater installation.
$300 OFF Tankless Water Heating Systems
May not be combined with other offers or discounts. Must present coupon at time of payment.
$75 OFF Any Water Heater Replacement
40 gallon tank or larger, gas or electric. May not be combined with other offers or discounts. Please present coupon at time of purchase.
Resources found on our website are provided as general guidelines, and Reddi Industries does not assume any liability resulting from the provided information.Previous: Do I Need a Backup Sump Pump? Next: Why Is There a Sewer Smell In My Basement?
- Commercial Plumbing (1)
- Drain Cleaning (3)
- General (6)
- Pipe Repair (1)
- Plumbing (16)
- Septic Tanks (2)
- All Categories